MHS Centennial Organization: University of Manitoba
The University of Manitoba was created in 1877 to confer degrees on students graduating from its three founding colleges: St. Boniface College, St. John’s College, and Manitoba College. In 1882, the Manitoba Medical College became affiliated. Wesley College joined in 1888, as did the Manitoba College of Pharmacy in 1902. The year 1904 was an especially momentous one, as the university assumed responsibility for its own science teaching. Other notable additions included the Manitoba Agricultural College in 1906, St. Paul’s College in 1931, Brandon College in 1938, and St. Andrew’s College in 1964. Three years later, United College, formed by the merger of Wesley and Manitoba Colleges, became the University of Winnipeg, while Brandon College became Brandon University.
The diversity of programs offered by the University of Manitoba have grown dramatically over the past century. In 1904, it had six professors in the natural sciences. Today, its 23 faculties and schools offer 67 degrees, diplomas, and certificates at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
As Manitoba’s largest and most research-intensive post-secondary institution, and the only one offering medical and doctoral degrees, the University of Manitoba plays an unrivaled role. It educates most of the province’s professionals, as well as its cultural, political, and business leaders. The University’s influence extends far beyond the boundaries of Manitoba through Canada and the world.
A Centennial Organization Award was presented to the University of Manitoba by Steven Place on 3 April 2004.
St. Paul’s College
For the period from 1922 to 1970, the Faculty of Arts was part of the Faculty of Arts and Science. From 1970 onward, the Faculty of Arts became a separate entity.
Asper School of Business
Faculty of Dentistry
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Engineering
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Pharmacy
The Faculty of Pharmacy began in 1899 as the independent Manitoba College of Pharmacy. It sought formal affiliation with the University of Manitoba in 1902 and joined the University as its Department of Pharmacy in 1914. It became the School of Pharmacy in 1951.
Faculty of Science
For the period from 1922 to 1970, the Faculty of Science was part of the Faculty of Arts and Science. From 1970 onward, the Faculty of Science became a separate entity.
The following Departments have operated within the Faculty of Science.
The original convocation of the University of Manitoba, as constituted by the University Act of 1877, was as follows:
University of Manitoba Historical Notes, 1877-1917, compiled by W. J. Spence, Registrar. Winnipeg: The University of Manitoba, 1918.
Assessing the Risk: A History of Actuarial Science at the University of Manitoba by Laird Rankin, Asper School of Business, 2011.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 August 2018Back to top of page