Memorable Manitobans: Paul Guyot DuVal (1893-1970)
Soldier, lawyer, judge.
Born at Winnipeg on 8 October 1893, son of Frederic B. DuVal and Corinne Kearfott, he attended Alexandra School, Central Collegiate and the University of Manitoba. He joined the Fort Garry Horse in 1914, became a second lieutenant and transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in 1917, where he was several times decorated. He graduated from University of Manitoba Law School in 1920 and was called to the Manitoba Bar the next year. He practiced law and was made a King’s Counsel in 1940. Appointed to the Court of Queen’s Bench in 1951, he retired in 1959.
He served as President of the Manitoba Bar Association (1944), Chairman of the Board of Governors for the University of Manitoba (1952-1955), President of the South Winnipeg Liberal Association, co-founder and first President of the Young Men’s Section of the Winnipeg Board of Trade, a Bencher for the Law Society of Manitoba (1943-1951), chairman of the Board of Managers of Knox Church (1936-1937), Chairman of the John W. Dafoe Foundation, a member of the Advisory Board of the Winnipeg Foundation, and Chairman of the Board of Mutual Investments Limited.
On 30 December 1918, he married Mary Isabel Cross (1895-1973, daughter of William W. Cross) and they had three children: Frederick W. DuVal, Paul N. DuVal, and Lorna K. DuVal. He played right wing for the Winnipeg Hockey Club (1913), was President of the Intercollegiate Hockey Association of Winnipeg (1913), and member of the St. Charles Country Club. In 1956, he was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Manitoba. He was a committee member of the Manitoba Centennial Corporation.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Many active in city’s life today attended Alexandra” by Claire Tisdale, Winnipeg Free Press, 29 January 1949.
“These Manitobans will help plan centennial,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 September 1963, page 9.
“DuVal, sister die,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 April 1970, page 46.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 16 April 1970, page 36.
Page revised: 1 March 2020
Back to top of page