Manitoba Organization: St. Boniface College / University of St. Boniface
Founded in 1818 by Roman Catholic cleric Joseph Norbert Provencher, the St. Boniface College (now the Université de Saint-Boniface) was the first post-secondary educational institution in Western Canada. Incorporated formally in 1871, it joined with other religious colleges, St. John’s College (Anglican) and Manitoba College (Presbyterian) in 1877 to establish the University of Manitoba which initially served merely to confer degree on those trained by the member colleges, but later assumed responsibility for its own teaching.
The college offered baccalaureate programs in Arts and Education, and has periodically offered non-credit courses in such topics in business administration, accounting, and adult education.
The original St. Boniface College building was built in stages between 1880 and 1902. It was destroyed by fire on 25 November 1922, along with all its records and library holdings. Operations were moved to the St. Boniface Seminary on Cathedral Avenue, which remains its location today.
“New Rector of St. Boniface College,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 April 1913.
“New Rector appointed for college,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 September 1969, page 4.
“College gets new Rector,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 June 1970.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2021