Memorable Manitobans: James Edward “Jimmy” Wilson (c1915-1989)
Born at Winnipeg, he attended the University of Manitoba. His studies at the Manitoba Law School were interrupted, during the Second World War, by six years with the Royal Canadian Artillery then as an officer in northwest Europe. From 1956 to 1960 he was Commanding Officer of the University of Manitoba COTC. Called to the Manitoba Bar in 1946, he worked as a lawyer until 1965, being made a Queen’s Counsel in 1957, and serving as a Bencher for the Law Society of Manitoba (1965). Defeated as a Liberal candidate in the 1958 provincial general election, he was appointed a judge in the Court of Queen’s Bench in 1965, serving there until August 1988.
He volunteered with several community organizations, including the YMCA, Community Welfare Planning Council, and the Dominion Drama Festival. He was a trustee and chairman of the Westminster Foundation, chairman of the Misericordia Hospital Council, chairman of the Board of Governors of the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, President of the Manitoba Paraplegia Foundation, an officer of the Manitoba Medical Services Foundation, a trustee of the Dafoe Foundation, board member of the Manitoba Centennial Corporation, chairman of the Winnipeg School Board, chairman of the Manitoba and Prairies Region Selection Committee of the Rhodes Scholarship Trust, and two terms as National President of the Canadian Red Cross Society. In 1987, he was given an honorary degree by the University of Manitoba.
He died of cancer at Winnipeg on 26 February 1989.
“10 new Queen’s Counsel named for Manitoba,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1957, page 1.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 27 February 1989, page 21.
“Judge’s humor recalled,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 February 1989, page 6.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 28 February 1989, page 30.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 August 2019
Back to top of page