MHS Centennial Organization: Brandon University
In the summer of 1899, Brandon College was established in Brandon by the Baptist Union of Western Canada, on the foundation of S. J. McKee’s Brandon Academy established in Brandon in 1891 after several years of successful operation in Rapid City from in the early 1880s. McKee had arrived in Rapid City in the wake of the creation and collapse of Prairie College, the first attempt by Baptists (in this case Dr. John Crawford, formerly of the Canadian Bible Institute at Woodstock, Ontario) to establish a post-secondary Baptist institution in Western Canada. Because Baptists were committed to separation of education institutions from the state, the founders of Brandon College rejected any affiliation with the state-sponsored University of Manitoba. Failing to gain a charter from the Manitoba government, Brandon College affiliated with McMaster University in 1912.
Until 1938 graduates of Brandon College received degrees with the imprimatur of McMaster University. In 1938 the Baptist Union of Western Canada withdrew its financial support from the College. In that year, the College affiliated with the University of Manitoba as a non-denomination college granting University of Manitoba degrees. In 1967, Brandon College became Brandon University through an Order-in-Council approved by the Duff Roblin government under the existing Universities Establishments Act. In 1998, Brandon University finally received its own charter through the Brandon University Act.
The MHS Centennial Organization Award was presented to Brandon University President Louis P. Visentin by MHS President Gordon Goldsborough on 27 May 2004.
Page revised: 4 August 2019Back to top of page