Memorable Manitobans: Charles Wallace Sharp (1852-1924)
Building contractor, municipal official.
Born in Salisbury, England on 22 June 1852, he came to Winnipeg in 1873, soon becoming prominent in theatrical circles. For some time he was manager of the old Princess Theatre, at the corner of Princess Street and Ross Avenue. In 1883, in partnership with Robert Gerrie, he bought the theatre. He also owned a roller skating rink. In partnership with his half-brother James W. Smith, he founded the firm of Smith & Sharp that was responsible for the construction of many early buildings in Winnipeg. In addition to his contracting business, he was a director of the Manitoba Gypsum Company and the Canadian Industrial Exhibition Association.
In 1879, he was married to Mary Louisa Leckie (1857-1945) with whom he had seven children: Louisa Jane Sharp (1881-?, wife of Percy S. White), Grace Belle Sharp (1884-?, wife of J. R. Higgins), George Wallace Sharp (1886-?), Irene Marie Sharp (1888-?, wife of Frederick William Harper), Milton Hoffe Sharp (1892-?), Charles Monckto Sharp (1895-?), and Cedric Sharp (1897-?). The Sharp family built a home on Wellington Crescent, next door to John J. Borebank. He served on the board of the Winnipeg Playgrounds Association. After years of service on the Winnipeg Public Parks Board, he was appointed Chairman and served in that capacity for several years until the end of 1914. He was a member of the Masons and Central Congregational Church.
Some of his construction works in Manitoba included:
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Birth, marriage, and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Chas. W. Sharp laid to rest,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 October 1924, page 11.
Page revised: 27 April 2020