Historic Sites of Manitoba: First Congregational Church / Central Congregational Church (374 Hargrave Street, Winnipeg)
Formerly located at the southwest corner of Hargrave Street and Qu’Appelle Avenue in Winnipeg, this church was designed by local architect Joseph Greenfield and built in 1882 by contractor John Alexander Girvin. Known originally as First Congregational Church, it was renamed Central Congregational Church in 1887.
In 1905, the church was enlarged with plans drawn up by local architect Alexander D. Melville and built at a cost of about $26,000. The following year, further alterations and an addition to the building, designed by the architectural firm of Darling, Pearson and Over, were built at a cost of about $40,000, with stonework completed by contractor William Horner and the rest being completed by the Claydon Brothers Construction which increased the seating capacity from 900 to 1,600 people.
The church was demolished in 1936 and the site is now occupied by a parking lot.
“To contractors,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 February 1882, page 8.
“Will enlarge central church,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 July 1905, page 9.
“Unanimous for church extension,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 July 1905, page 7.
“The central congressional,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 December 1906, page 41.
Page revised: 16 May 2023