Designed by local architect B. C. Kenway and built in 1880, the St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Cathedral facade was renovated in 1896 by Samuel Hooper. In April 2017, it became a municipally-designated historic site.
St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church (circa 1882)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Winnipeg-Churches-St. Mary’s Cathedral 5-1, c1882.
Postcard view of the interior of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church (circa 1910)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0045
St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Cathedral (June 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Interior of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Cathedral (2016)
Source: Desiree Rolfe
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89037, W97.14364
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Some Old Winnipeg Buildings by Randy Rostecki
MHS Transactions, Series 3, Number 29, 1972-1973 Season
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral (353 St. Mary Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, November 2016.
We thank Desiree Rolfe for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 January 2020
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.