Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canada Permanent Mortgage Building / Telpay Building (298 Garry Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey building was designed by local architect John Danley Atchison and constructed in 1909 by the firm of Smith and Sharp on the west side of Garry Street, on the former site of the Manitoba Club. Its first occupant was the Toronto-based financial services firm Canada Permanent Trust Company, with other space in the building leased to smaller firms. In 1964, Canada Permanent moved out of the building, which was renamed the Guardian Finance Building for its primary occupant at that time. In the 1970s, it became the Freed Building. In the 1980s, the structure was purchased and renovated by Comcheq Services Limited, whose subsidiary Telpay Incorporated is its present occupant.
Restoration of the building has been recognized by a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg. It is a municipally-designated historic site.
Canada Permanent Building / Telpay Building (September 2014)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89388, W97.14083
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Danley Atchison (1870-1959)
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Wallace Sharp (1852-1924)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Comcheq Building [formerly Canada Permanent Building] (296-298 Garry Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, July 1985.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 3 November 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.