In 1910, brothers Archibald and Alexander McLaren completed a grand new, 165-room hotel at the corner of Main Street and Rupert Avenue in Winnipeg, built by the construction firm of Smith & Sharp. Its rotunda featured a ceramic mosaic tile floor. On the ground floor was a writing room, bar, dining room, and kitchen. As was common at the time, bedrooms on the upper floors generally lacked washroom facilities.
Memorable Manitobans: Archibald McLaren (1856-1918)
Memorable Manitobans: Alexander Stewart “Ike” McLaren (1866-1921)
Reginald Buller: The Poet-Scientist of Mushroom City by Gordon Goldsborough
Manitoba History, Number 47, Spring/Summer 2004
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 September 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.