Memorable Manitobans: George William Northwood (1877-1959)
Architect, war hero.
Born Ottawa, Ontario, 1877, son of William Northwood, he was educated the Ottawa College Institute and McGill University (Montreal). He commenced a career as an architect with K. Arnoldi of Ottawa, in 1900. He came to Winnipeg in 1905 and established an architectural firm. He married Gussie Simpson of Thorold, Ontario the next year.
He designed many Winnipeg buildings before 1914, including the Northern Crown Bank and the Dominion Bank of Canada. He also had a business interest in the Manitoba Linseed Oil Company and National Securities Company. With the outbreak of the First World War, when he went overseas with the 8th Battalion. Captured by the Germans in 1915, he returned to Winnipeg in 1918 as a major, having been awarded the Military Cross. He established the firm Northwood and Chivers, which designed the Civic Auditorium (now the Archives of Manitoba building) and the Federal Building on Main Street.
From 1931 to 1933 he was Dominion superintendent of unemployment and farm relief. He was a Chairman of the Sanatorium Board of Manitoba (1943-1948). He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada in 1938. He was President of the Manitoba Association of Architects (1923) and the Manitoba Club (1931-1932). Later in his life he was President of the Northern Canadian Mortgage Company.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
“George W. Northwood dead at 83,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 December 1959.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 May 2019
Back to top of page