Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kirkland Apartments / Eden Apartments (377 Carlton Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick and stone apartment block on Carlton Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect George William Northwood and constructed in 1909 by contractors Frederick Hinds and ? Mitchell at a cost of about $35,000 for owner D. Kirkerod. The 70 by 45 foot building contained nine apartments in its original configuration.
Known originally as the Kirkland Apartments, it was later renamed the Eden Apartments. By 1928, the building was owned by Andrew Charlton Houghton. The building was vacant at the time of a 2021 site visit.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1098/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 4243/1928, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 346/1930, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 August 2022