Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ralph Connor House (54 West Gate, Winnipeg)
This stately residence was designed by Winnipeg architect George Northwood and built in 1913, in the Armstrong’s Point area of Winnipeg, for the Reverend Charles W. Gordon, who also wrote novels under the pseudonym Ralph Connor. Since 1945, the house and grounds have been maintained by the University Women’s Club of Winnipeg. Today it is owned and operated as a public meeting place by the Friends of Ralph Connor House. Affixed to the house are commemorative plaques provided by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada and Heritage Canada.
Ralph Connor House, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
University Women's Club / Ralph Connor House (54 West Gate), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, November 1982.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 March 2020
Back to top of page