Memorable Manitobans: James Stewart Tupper (1851-1915)
Born at Amherst, Nova Scotia on 21 October 1851, the eldest son of Sir Charles Tupper, and brother of William Johnston Tupper, he was educated at McGill University, graduating in 1871. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 1875 and practised in Toronto for some years. He came to Winnipeg in 1882 and formed a partnership with Hugh John Macdonald, which was later enlarged to become Macdonald, Tupper, Phippen & Tupper. He was created a QC in 1890, and served as President of the Law Society of Manitoba from 1910 to 1913.
He married twice, his first wife Marie W. Robertson dying a year after their marriage in 1875. The second wife Ada Campbell Galt (?-?) was a daughter of Sir Thomas Galt. There were four children: Marie Stewart Tupper (?-?) by his first marriage, and Charles Stewart Tupper, Jessie Campbell Tupper (?-?), and Frances Tupper (?-?) of the second. He built and resided in a large mansion in Armstrong’s Point. He was a member of the St. Charles Country Club (President, 1909-1910), Manitoba Club, Adanac Club, Conservative party, and was a member of the board for the University of Manitoba.
He died at Oxford, England on 29 April 1915 and he was buried near there.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, 1911. C. W. Parker, editor. Canadian Press Association, Vancouver.
The Leading Financial, Business & Professional Men of Winnipeg, published by Edwin McCormick, Photographs by T. J. Leatherdale, Compiled and printed by Stone Limited, c1913. [copy available at the Archives of Manitoba]
“James Stewart Tupper, K.C., dies in English hospital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 April 1915, page 5.
“Tupper buried; J. Obed Smith for Manitoba,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 May 1915, page 5.
Pioneers and Early Citizens of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Manitoba Library Association, 1971.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 May 2019
Back to top of page