Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Manitoba Organization: Adanac Club

In late June 1909, the Adanac Club (“Canada” spelled backwards) opened its doors in the former customs and railway office at 202 Main Street in Winnipeg. It was described as a “social club for conservatives but the directors said that it was in no way connected with the party organization in the city”. On the ground floor of the two-storey structure was a visitors room, members lounging room, buffet, dining room, and kitchen. Upstairs were billiard and pool rooms, card rooms, a waiting room, lavatories, bathrooms, and three bedrooms for the use of out-of-town members.

The initial membership stood at 350 and included all the Conservative members of the Manitoba Legislature, including Premier Rodmond Palen Roblin. Its initial officers were William Johnston Tupper (President), W. C. Graham (Vice-President), F. W. Russell (Vice-President), R. Chrystal Irving (Treasurer), and L. L. Gullivan (Secretary).

In early 1913, the club moved to the former residence of James Henry Ashdown at 347 Hargrave Street, at the corner of Broadway.

Sources:

“Conservative Club,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 June 1909, page 7.

“J. H. Ashdown's residence purchased for new home for organization,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 May 1912, page 2.

We thank Vic Mollot for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 27 February 2021

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.