Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Frank Peters (1847-1926)
Born at Yeovil, Somerset, England on 7 November 1847, eldest son of Samuel and Anne Peters, he emigrated to Canada with his parents, his father practicing as a civil engineer at London, Ontario. He was educated at public schools and Hellmuth College (London, Ontario), and the University of Toronto. He began the practice of architecture at London, Ontario in 1872. He came to Winnipeg in July 1892 where he served as an architect for the provincial and federal governments. It is said that Peters designed the first apartment block in Winnipeg. He served as the first President of the Manitoba Association of Architects.
On 30 October 1873, he married Sarah Lucinda Jones (1850-1943) at London, Ontario. They had three sons: Edgar Horace Peters (1875-1935), Harry Allan Peters (1877-?), and Frank Roy Peters (1888-?). During the 1885 North West Rebellion, he was a Captain of the 7th Fusiliers, suffering injuries that resulted in the loss of an arm. He was a member of the Winnipeg Military Institute, Manitoba Navy League, AF & AM, and the Anglican Church. His recreations included all outdoor amateur sports.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
Ontario birth and marriage registrations, Ancestry.
The Canadian Architect and Builder, Volume 10, Issue 1, page 4, 1897.
1901 and 1911 Canada censuses, Automated Genealogy.
Who's Who and Why, Volumes 6 and 7, 1915-1916, page 499.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Capt. F. S. Peters dies after brief illness,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 May 1926, page 3.
Obituary, Manitoba Free Press, 1 June 1926, page 20.
Obituary [Edgar Horace Peters], Winnipeg Tribune, 23 April 1935, page 6.
Obituary [Sarah Lucinda Peters], Winnipeg Free Press, 4 March 1943, page 2.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 December 2021