This seven-storey brick warehouse on Princess Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Samuel Frank Peters and the first four floors were built in 1902 by contractors Robert Watson and John Alexander Girvin. The top three floors, also designed by Peters, were added in 1906 by builder John McQuarrie. For nearly 50 years, the building was associated with the Cockshutt Plow Company, a manufacturer of agricultural equipment. Later occupants included the T. Eaton Realty Company and the wholesale firm of J. Werier and Company.
In September 2019, it became a municipally-designated historic building.
Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Frank Peters (1847-1926)
Memorable Manitobans: Robert Watson (1856-?)
Memorable Manitobans: John Alexander Girvin (1851-1931)
Memorable Manitobans: John McQuarrie (1849-1929)
Memorable Manitobans: Ezra Arthur Mott (1869-1951)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Cockshutt Plow Company Building, 238 Princess Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, April 2019.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 26 November 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.