Memorable Manitobans: Harold Albert Mouritsen (1917-1969)
Educator, school inspector.
Born at Tyndall on 12 April 1917, son of C. Mouritsen and Karen Nielson, he attended Tyndall School and graduated in the late 1930s. In 1938, he gave up farming and enrolled in the Winnipeg Normal School. After receiving a teaching certificate, he taught at Tilston School (1939-1940). In August 1941, he enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force and worked as an airframe mechanic at air bases in Ontario.
After his military discharge in July 1945, he attended summer school at Brandon then resumed teaching as the Principal of Ashern School (1945-1946), Elgin School (1950-1954), and Macdonald Plains School at the Macdonald Air Base (1954-1956). While teaching, he enrolled at the University of Manitoba and subsequently received BSc (1949), BEd (1950), and MEd (1951) degrees. In August 1956, he was appointed a Manitoba School Inspector based at Steinbach and served as Superintendent of the Assiniboine South School Division (1967-1968).
He died at his Winnipeg home, 258 Bruce Avenue, on 2 March 1969 and was buried in the Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens.
Birth registration [Harold Albert Mouritzen], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Departmental notes: Inspector H. A. Mouritsen,” The Manitoba School Journal, April (1957), page 4.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 5 March 1969, page 38.
Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 December 2021