Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tyndall School No. 568 (Tyndall, RM of Brokenhead)
The Tyndall School District was organized formally in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead, and a log school building was erected on Tyndall’s Main Street in February 1889. Classes commenced with 24 students under the supervision of teacher John Walker. Increasing enrollment necessitated the construction of a two-storey, two-classroom stone building in 1905, which was used until 1914 when a larger, six-room school was built. This structure was destroyed by fire on 27 September 1958.
Its replacement, a four-classroom structure that became the fourth Tyndall School, was built in 1959 on a design by Winnipeg architect Laurie Ward. With school consolidation in 1966, classes in grades 4 to 6 were held here, while students in lower grades were bused to Garson and those in grades 7 to 12 went to Beausejour or Selkirk.
Among the teachers who worked at Tyndall School were John Walker, Gertrude Potter, Alex Dunn, C. M. MacKinnon, Herbert Wadge, C. E. Huggard, James Cressey, R. J. McClelland, Clifford Rogers (1909), Helen Tracy, Jennie Lewis, Lillian Morris, Thomas Jerrow, Mr. Miller, Grace Palmer (1908-1909), Beatrice McColl, Uarda Burtt, Leslie Grace, Lena Comrie, J. W. Alexander, M. Downie, and Laura Thorarinson Armstrong.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 June 1959, page 45.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Tyndall, Manitoba: 1893-1993 by Tyndall History Book Committee, Steinbach: Derksen Printers, 1993, pages 59-64.
Obituary [Laura Johanna Gudrun Thorarinson Armstrong], Winnipeg Free Press, 10 September 2013.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 October 2019
Back to top of page