Memorable Manitobans: Harold Richmond Hooper (1872-1955)
Born at Napanee, Ontario on 13 May 1872, son of William H. Hooper and Henrietta A. Roblin, his family moved to Manitoba in 1882 and settled at Brandon. He attended high school in Brandon then the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, graduating with an Arts degree in 1893. He then studied law with Clifford Sifton, graduating in 1898 and being called to the Manitoba Bar. He established a law practice at Carberry later that year, under the name of Philip, Cameron and Hooper, taking over the business in 1900. He became solicitor for the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk in 1901 and the Town of Carberry in 1919. He was made a King’s Counsel in 1944. On 29 April 1901, he married Louise Madeline McKinnon (1880-1907) of Brandon. He served as Mayor of Carberry from 1915 to 1917. He was a member of the Independent Order of Foresters, Brandon Club, Adanac Club (Winnipeg), Law Society of Manitoba, Norfolk Conservative Association, and the Anglican church. He died at Winnipeg on 5 August 1955 and was buried in the Carberry Cemetery.
Marriage and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Nine new K.C.’s appointed,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 January 1944, page 13.
“Former mayor of Carberry, H. R. Hooper dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 August 1955, page 8.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 July 2018
Back to top of page