Memorable Manitobans: Lily Amelia Harrison (1882-1968)
Born at Winnipeg on 17 April 1882, daughter of Jane Dixon and James C. Harrison at an early age she was brought to Brandon when her father, a locomotive engineer, was transferred there. After completing high school (1903) at Brandon, she began a 55-year teaching career at Margaret School. She completed her teacher training at the Brandon Normal School then taught at Hillview School (near Kenton) and Poplar Hill School before taking more teacher training at the Central Normal School. In 1907, she returned to the Brandon School District as a teacher at the Central School (1907-c1921) and the Model Room School (1924-1942) located within the the Brandon Normal School, after which she became Assistant-Principal of Alexandra School (1942-1958), from which she retired in June 1958. She died unmarried at Brandon on 18 January 1968 and was buried in the Brandon Cemetery. She is commemorated by Ecole Harrison in Brandon.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Obituary, Brandon Sun, 20 January 1968, page 13.
History Notes, Brandon School Division.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 July 2021