Board Chairs | Superintendents | Schools | Sources
Until 1890, Brandon had separate Protestant and Catholic School Boards that operated schools in their respective religious denominations. They were merged into a single Board in 1890.
The Brandon School Division was created on 1 April 1959 by an order of the Manitoba Minister of Education, acting on a recommendation of the MacFarlane Commission on Education and the School Divisions Boundaries Commission. It became responsible for all secondary education, grades 9 to 12, within the area of the following school districts:
Protestant Board Chairs (1882-1890)
Catholic Board Chairs (1883-1890)
The following are schools that have operated in the Division since its inception, although not all of them are currently in operation, and few are based in their original buildings.
Alexandra School (College Avenue)
Betty Gibson School (701 Twelfth Street)
Brandon Collegiate Institute / New Era School (527 Louise Avenue)
David Livingstone School (1303 Assiniboine Avenue)
Earl Haig School (First Street)
Earl Oxford School (540 Eighteenth Street)
East Ward School (200 Fourth Street)
Fleming School (2320 Louise Avenue)
George Fitton School (1129 Third Street)
Green Acres School (335 Queens Avenue East)
Greenwood School (Shilo, Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
Harrison High School / Harrison Junior High School (415 Queens Avenue)
J. R. Reid School (813 Twenty-Sixth Street)
King George School (430 Victoria Avenue East)
Kirkcaldy Heights School (10 Knowlton Drive)
Linden Lanes School (49 Silver Birch Drive)
McLaren School (1031 Sixth Street)
Meadows School (1220 Twenty-Second Street)
Neelin High School (1020 Brandon Avenue)
New Central School (Lorne Avenue)
O’Kelly School (Shilo, Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
Old Central School (Tenth Street)
Park School / West Ward School (Lorne Avenue)
Princess Elizabeth School (Shilo, Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
Riverheights School (32 E. Fotheringham Drive)
St. Augustine School (330 Third Street)
Valleyview School (65 Whillier Drive)
Vincent Massey High School (715 McDiarmid Drive)
Waverly Park School (3800 Park Avenue)
In the Image of Ontario: Public Schools in Brandon 1881-1890 by Tom Mitchell
Manitoba History, Number 12, Autumn 1986
Events in Manitoba History: School Divisions (1959)
Events in Manitoba History: Manitoba’s Rural School Consolidation (1905-1967)
Events in Manitoba History: School Divisions Boundaries Commission (1958-1959)
Events in Manitoba History: MacFarlane Royal Commission on Education (1957-1959)
Winnipeg School Division No. 1
“Names of Brandon schools,” Brandon Sun, 6 October 1959, page 4.
Report of the School Divisions Boundaries Commission, 13 January 1959, Manitoba Legislative Library, SpR 1958 Education.
We thank Tom Mitchell for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 December 2020