Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Manitoba Communities: St. James (Unincorporated City)

Link to:
Population | Mayors / Reeves | Memorable Manitobans | Historic Sites | History Books | Photos & Maps | Sources

This municipality was named for the Parish of St. James.

Present Status

City of Winnipeg (1 January 1972)

Incorporation History

Part of Rural Municipality of Assiniboia (1886)
Divided into Rural Municipality of Assiniboia, Rural Municipality of St. James (1921), Rural Municipality of Brooklands (1922)
City of St. James (1956)
Absorbed Brooklands (1967)
Merger of St. James and Assiniboia as City of St. James-Assiniboia (1969)

Land Area (square km)

?

Population

Year

Total

1901

257

1911

5335

1921

11745

1931

14260

1941

13892

1951

19561

1956

26502

1961

33977

1966

35685

1971

71431

Mayors and Reeves

Term

Reeve

1921

Joseph William Godkin

1922-1923

John George Smith (1873-1947)

1924

Alexander “Alex” Christie (1878-1947)

1925-1929

Joseph Henry Cotter (1872-1937)

1930-1932

Alexander “Alex” Christie (1878-1947)

1933-1937

Ronald Henry Hooper (1885-1969)

1938-1945

David Alexander Best (1880-1949)

1946-1953

Reginald Frederick Wightman (1899-1981)

1954-1961

Thomas Burns Findlay (1902-1972)

1960-1969

Alfred William “Bill” Hanks (1894-1985)

1969

Merged with Assiniboia into St. James-Assiniboia

1970-1971

Alfred William “Bill” Hanks (1894-1985)

1972

Merged into Winnipeg

Police Chiefs

Term

Police Chief

?-?

?

Fire Chiefs

Term

Fire Chief

1930

George McConnell

Sources:

“Fire prevention week will open on Oct. 5,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 September 1930, page 9.

“Identity won’t be lost in St. James-Assiniboia,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1971, page 19.

We thank Nathan Kramer and Jill Paskewitz for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 May 2019

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.