Historic Sites of Manitoba: Westminster Presbyterian Church / Westminster United Church (745 Westminster Avenue, Winnipeg)
During the early 20th century, Manitoba’s economy boomed and its population grew dramatically. With sharp increases in memberships, many churches found it necessary to replace their buildings. In 1909, the members of Westminster Presbyterian (now United) Church concluded that their 1893-1894 building was inadequate for a congregation of almost 1,000. This site, closer to the homes of the parishioners, was selected and the church was built between 1910 and 1912. For its grandest buildings—Westminster, Augustine (1903-1904) and Knox (1914-1918)—the Presbyterian Church in Winnipeg called upon renowned architect J. H. G. Russell. For each church, Russell relied on a different interpretation of the Gothic Revival, a popular architectural style that drew its inspiration from medieval churches. Russell’s design was based upon the English expression of Gothic and emphasized pinnacle towers, slender vertical supports and large openings, in this case featuring a beautiful rose window. Inside the church are plaques commemorating parishioners who served and were killed during military service in the First World War and Second World War.
In 1992, the Manitoba Heritage Council unveiled a commemorative plaque to recognize this fine stone church, a provincially- and municipally-designated historic site. A collection of photographs of the building by J. H. G. Russell is held at the Archives of Manitoba.
Photos & Maps
“Noted divine to get call,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 September 1909, page 9.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Westminster United Church, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Page revised: 7 April 2019
Back to top of page