Memorable Manitobans: Oliver Glen Olmstead (?-1997)
Born in the Stinson district, son of William Cowan Olmstead (1881-1955) and Helen “Nellie” Gilmore (1891-1955), he taught at Pikwitonei School, Cardale School, Bethany School, and Waskada School (1950-1951), and served as the Principal of Bethany School (1955), Wellington School (1957-1959), Darlingford School (1959-1963), McCreary School (1963-1964), Manitou School (1965-1967), and Oak River School (1967-1968). He then moved to Brandon where he resided for 29 years, taught history at Crocus Plains Regional Secondary School, and was one of the founders of Daly House Museum. He died at Brandon on 17 November 1997.
Marriage registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Museum has new president,” Brandon Sun, 14 July 1997, page 16.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 22 November 1997, page C15.
Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 December 2018
Back to top of page