Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wellington School No. 59 / Thornhill Consolidated School No. 59 (Thornhill, RM of Stanley)
The Wellington School District was established in November 1878 and, as early as 1881, a school operated at 17-3-6W in the Rural Municipality of Stanley. By 1886, dissatisfaction with the original school site led local ratepayers to approve moving it to the nearby village of Thornhill. That summer, a one-classroom, wood frame building was constructed in town, to which a second classroom was added ten years later. Destroyed by fire in 1899, classes were held in a local store and the Orange Hall until a new two-storey stone structure could be built in 1900. It served the community until the school district consolidated with Orangehill School District No. 794, in 1961, forming the Thornhill Consolidated School No. 59. The following year, a two-classroom, single-storey building replaced the earlier stone school. It lasted only six years because, in 1968, Thornhill consolidated with Morden to form the Morden Consolidated School No. 2440. The school at Thornhill was closed and students were henceforth bused to Morden. It became part of the Western School Division in 1969.
A monument, dedicated on 7 July 2003, commemorates the school and other notable historic buildings, including the Anglican Church (1895-1948), Methodist/United Church (1892-1978), Presbyterian Church (1891-1918), Memorial Curling Rink (1948-1975), Community Hall (1920-present), Canadian Pacific Railway Station (1888-1961), Lake of the Woods Elevator (1883-1962), Ogilvie / Manitoba Pool Elevator (1900-1978), Weldon-Broadbent / Ogilvie Elevator (1900-1978), Canadian Pacific Railway Stockyards (1888-1960), Reichert Garage (1945-1959), Jordan / Co-op / Martindale Store (1880-1980), Post Office (1879-present), South Warehouse (1920-1951), Campbell Garage (1920-1980), Manitoba Hotel / Campbell Boarding House (1900-1960), and Broadbent Store & Lumberyard (1880-1946).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
As Years Go By: 1876-1971 by the Thornhill Book Committee, 1971.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 November 2014
Back to top of page