Historic Sites of Manitoba: Daly House / The Maples Orphanage / Daly House Museum (122 Eighteenth Street, Brandon)
This two-storey brick building on Eighteenth Street in Brandon, one of the oldest structures in the city, was designed by architect Edward McCoskrie and built in 1882 for Thomas Mayne Daly. When Daly moved to British Columbia in 1896, he sold it to his law partner, George Robson Coldwell whose family resided here until the early 1930s. The house served as a children’s shelter called “The Maples”, operated by the Children’s Aid Society of Western Manitoba, from 1932 to around 1972. In the mid-1950s, a verandah was removed from the house, and a porch, fire escape, and rear extension were added.
In 1976, the building was taken over by a non-profit organization that renovated and reopened it two years later as a museum. On the grounds of the museum is a plaque, erected by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba, that commemorates Thomas Mayne Daly.
“The Maples home away from home for deserving kiddies,” Brandon Sun, 4 August 1955.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page updated: 26 July 2020
Back to top of page