Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Nathan Nurgitz

Click to enlarge

Nathan Nurgitz
Click to enlarge

Lawyer, municipal official, judge, senator.

Born at Winnipeg on 22 June 1934, he received degrees from the University of Manitoba (BA 1954, Law 1958). Made a Queen’s Counsel in 1978, he practiced law with the firm of Thompson, Dorfman, Sweatman from 1979 and 1993. In the latter year, he was appointed a judge on the Court of Queen’s Bench, serving until 2009 when he rejoined his former law firm. Active in politics as an alderman for the City of West Kildonan (1963-1969), he ran unsuccessfully in the 1966 provincial general election. A founding board member of the Manitoba Centennial Corporation, he was later Vice-President and President of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada (1970-1971). In October 1979, he was summoned to the Canadian Senate, representing Winnipeg North, and served until February 1993. In 2002, in recognition of his community service, he received the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal.

Sources:

“These Manitobans will help plan centennial,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 September 1963, page 9.

“12 lawyers receive QC titles,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1977, page 160.

The Honourable Nathan Nurgitz QC LLB, Parliament of Canada.

Nathan Nurgitz, Wikipedia.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 May 2019

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.