Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 86


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

West KildonanManitoba Communities: West Kildonan (Unincorporated City)

Link to:
Population | Mayors / Reeves | Memorable Manitobans | Historic Sites | History Books | Maps | Sources

In 1914 the Municipality of Kildonan, which spanned both sides of the Red River, was split into the Rural Municipalities of West Kildonan and East Kildonan. The first council met on 16 March 1914 and consisted of Reeve Edmund Partridge and councillors John H Gunn, W. C. Smith, Isaac Colish, and Thomas Sly. In 1921 the municipality was further split into Old Kildonan to the south and West Kildonan to the north and residents of West Kildonan voted in favour of town status. In 1961 council requested city status from the province.

A characteristic of the municipality was its residential nature. Council actively promoted development of new residential and retail areas and the population rose from 6,500 at the end of the Second World War to 19,000 by 1960, giving it one of the highest populations per square mile ratio of the suburban municipalities. It took a strong stand against any industrial development and by 1961 just 5 percent of its three square mile footprint was industrial use.

Like many of the surrounding municipalities, West Kildonan was wary of closer ties with the City of Winnipeg. In June 1971 an open letter endorsed by the entire council urged citizens to contact elected officials about the coming merger stating that “there is no doubt that there will be a substantial increase in your taxes in the years to come, far higher than you would normally expect from normal increases in operating costs and services provided to you.”

Present Status

City of Winnipeg (1 January 1972)

Incorporation History

Municipality of Kildonan and St. John (1876)
Rural Municipality of Kildonan (1880)
Divided into East Kildonan and West Kildonan (1914)
Divided into Old Kildonan and West Kildonan (1921)
Town of West Kildonan (1921)
City of West Kildonan (1961)
Amalgamation of Assiniboia, Brooklands, Charleswood, East Kildonan, Fort Garry, North Kildonan, Old Kildonan, St. Boniface, St. James, St. Vital, Transcona, Tuxedo, West Kildonan, and Winnipeg (1 January 1972)

Land Area (square km)

?

Population

Year

Total

1901

668

1911

1767

1921

4641

1931

6132

1941

6110

1951

10754

1956

15256

1961

20077

1966

22240

1971

23959

Reeves and Mayors

Term

Reeve/Mayor

1914

Formed from subdivision of RM of Kildonan

1915-1918

Edmund Partridge (1868-1955)

1919

John H. Gunn (?-?)

1920-1923

Charles Albert Tanner (1887-1970)

1924

Edmund Partridge (1868-1955)

1925

George Rae Davidson (1890-1982)

1926-1945

Edmund Partridge (1868-1955)

1946-1951

Cecil Joseph Henry Lyon (1902-1968)

1952-1953

John Frederick Archibald “Jack” Partridge (1912-1966)

1954-1957

Arthur Edgar Wright (1907-1977)

1958-1967

Chaim Nachman Kushner (1905-1997)

1967-1969

Saul Miller (1917-1993)

1969-1971

Daniel Abraham “Abe” Yanofsky (1925-2000)

1972

Merged into Winnipeg

Councillors

Councillor

Term(s)

Isaac Colish (1878-1977)

1914-1920

Police Chiefs:

Term

Police Chief

?-?

?

Fire Chiefs:

Term

Fire Chief

1930

William Watson

Sources:

“Fire prevention week will open on Oct. 5,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 September 1930, page 9.

Manitoba Gazette, 1887-1959. Manitoba Legislative Library.

“W. K.—working man’s Tuxedo,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 July 1960, page 1.

“W. K. to seek city status,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 January 1961, page 30.

“W. K. solicits views on midi-city bill,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 June 1971, page 28.

“West Kildonan, Scotland linked with 1,300-year-old name,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1971, page 20.

West Kildonan – Pathways, City of Winnipeg Archives.

Municipality of West Kildonan Council History, 1914-1919.

This page was prepared by Christian Cassidy and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 November 2017

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.