Memorable Manitobans: George A. Glines (1849-1919)
Real estate, financial agent.
Born at Lachute, Quebec in October 1849, son of George L. and Maria Glines, he was educated at Lachute public schools then entered business as a grocer’s clerk at Montreal, in 1863. He came to Winnipeg in 1877, later moving to Morris where he served as its first Mayor (1882), Postmaster and Justice of the Peace for several years. He organized a militia company at Morris which served with Colonel Scott’s Brigade during the North West Rebellion of 1885.
He was one of the principal promoters of the Manitoba Central Railway which secured a provincial charter in 1882 but was later dissolved by the federal government. In 1884, he assisted in breaking up the elevator monopolies in Manitoba and had some of the reserve land south of Morris, which were seen as a hindrance to settlement, thrown open. He was a shareholder in the Winnipeg Sanitarium Association Limited.
In 1897, he married Emma M. Taylor of Ottawa, Ontario. They had no children. He was a member of the St. Charles Country Club, Carleton Club, Adanac Club, Alpine Club of Canada, Winnipeg Golf Club, Granite Curling Club, MAAA (Montreal), AF & AM, and the IOOF. His home at 55 Hargrave Street was designed in 1906 by the architectural firm of brothers Alexander D. Melville and William N. Melville.
He died at Galt, Ontario on 22 February 1919 and was buried at Lachute, Quebec.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
The Leading Financial, Business & Professional Men of Winnipeg, published by Edwin McCormick, Photographs by T. J. Leatherdale, Compiled and printed by Stone Limited, c1913. [copy available at the Archives of Manitoba]
“George A. Glines dies at Galt, Ont,” Newspaper clipping dated 25 February 1919. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B7]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 December 2014