Memorable Manitobans: Eveline Partridge Farlinger (1899-2000)
Educator, municipal official.
Born at Winnipeg on 26 September 1899, daughter of Edmund Partridge and Edith Helen Kitts (1873-1953) and attended Centennial School upon its opening in 1913. She taught at John Black School (1919-1920) and Centennial School (1920-?) prior to working at her own home-based Kindergarten for many years. In 1958, she enrolled at the University of Manitoba to upgrade her teaching qualifications, after which she taught at Ralph Brown School for 12 years (1957-1970).
On 15 August 1925, she married David Edwin Farlinger (1890-1970) at West Kildonan and had three children. The couple resided at 266 Scotia Street. Following her husband’s death, she acquired her drivers license at the age of 72. She was a member of the West Kildonan School Board (later the Seven Oaks School Division) from 1952 to 1966, including Chairwomen (1956-1957) and was a lead role in the implementation of the Community School model within the School Division. On 24 November 1955, she laid the cornerstone of Edmund Partridge Junior High School (later the Edmund Partridge Community School). She also taught Sunday School, and was leader of the 51st Guide Company and Ranger Advisor (1956-?). She was a lifelong member of St. Martins-in-the-Fields Anglican Church and frequented the St. John’s Curling Club.
Birth and marriage registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“New school board head is daughter and sister to West Kildonan Mayors,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 January 1956, page 13.
Obituary [David Edwin Farlinger], Winnipeg Free Press, 29 December 1970, page 30.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 23 October 2000, page C7.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 21 September 2019