Memorable Manitobans: Frederick William Drewry (1855-1927)
Born at Newport, England on 6 August 1855, son of Edward and Caroline Drewry, brother of Edward Lancaster Drewry and half-brother of George Drewry, he was educated at St. Paul, Minnesota. He started in the malting and brewery business in St. Paul, in 1875, and came to Winnipeg in 1881. He was Vice-President of the Drewrys Limited, Vice-President of Redwood Factories, and a Director of the Home Investment & Savings Association, Alberta Ice Company of Calgary, Arctic Ice Company, and North Empire Fire Insurance Company. He was a member of the Advisory Board for the Manitoba of Canada Trust Company and Huron & Erie Mortgage Corporation of London, Ontario, and President of the Northwest Farm Lands Corporation, Middle West Investment Company, and Manitoba Linseed Oil Mills.
In 1881, he married August E. Kiefer, daughter of Colonel A. R. Kiefer of St. Paul. He served as President of the Winnipeg Parks Board (1907), Winnipeg Board of Trade (1910), and Winnipeg Canadian Industrial Exhibition Association. A founding member and interim president of the St. Charles Country Club, he was also a member of the Manitoba Club, Carleton Club, St. Charles Country Club, Oakland Shooting Club, Automobile Club, Pine Ridge Golf Club, North West Commercial Travellers Association (President), Royal Society of Arts (London), AOUW, S.O.E., Royal Society of St. George, and Royal Colonial Institute of London, England.
He died on 9 September 1927.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
The Leading Financial, Business & Professional Men of Winnipeg, published by Edwin McCormick, Photographs by T. J. Leatherdale, Compiled and printed by Stone Limited, c1913. [copy available at the Archives of Manitoba]
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 July 2016
Back to top of page