Manitoba Organization: Pine Ridge Golf Club
Established at a meeting in Winnipeg on 2 August 1912, the Pine Ridge Golf Club was incorporated on 15 February 1913 by a Special Act of the Manitoba Legislature. Its early directors included Dr. Harvey Smith, H. J. Symington, R. D. Stratton, H. F. Osler, C. M. Taylor, S. E. Richards, G. W. Allan, John Galt, and T. F. Hubie.
In 1912, 156 acres of land in the Bird’s Hill area were purchased from Captain C. V. Lindsay and Thomas M. Bendelow, a prolific Scottish-born architect, was hired at a cost of $300 to lay out an 18-hole course. After Bendelow had staked the new course, a contract was let to H. W. Matheson for the clearing and preparation of the course with the grass seeding completed by the fall. The greens and tees were constructed in 1913 and the new course opened officially in late August 1914.
Five years later, golf course architect Donald Ross was brought from Pinehurst, North Carolina to redesign the original Bendelow layout. The redesign involved the construction of eleven new tees, the installation of 108 sand bunkers (of which 43 remain today, following course modernization in 1966) and new greens were constructed on holes 6, 11, 14, and 16. The greens on holes 7 and 8 were renovated, and holes 3, 6, 11, 12, and 15 were rerouted. Holes 7 and 14 were newly designed.
The first permanent clubhouse was built in 1923, a 26 foot by 27 foot structure with a 12 foot verandah. The following year, a pro shop was built to sell golf balls. The first maintenance building was added in 1926. A new building to house the men’s locker room was constructed in 1931. The original clubhouse was renovated in 1957 and replaced in 1963 with a new modern building measuring 72 feet by 96 feet. It featured men’s and ladies’ locker rooms in the basement, and a large lounge, private dining room, kitchen, and verandah on the main level.
Remodeling of holes 5, 6, 8, and 12 was done in 1986 and 1987 to address drainage problems on the course. Renovations and an addition to the clubhouse occurred in 1992. The 60 foot by 125 foot addition consisted of a ladies’ locker room, offices, boardroom and staffing area in the basement, and a 275-person banquet facility and reception area on the upper level. The existing clubhouse was completely renovated. The new clubhouse consisted of over 24,000 square feet of useable space.
In the summer of 1999, the maintenance building and all equipment were destroyed by fire. A new maintenance building measuring 40 feet by 122 feet was completed in the spring of 2000. A new green complex for hole 8 was designed in 2002 and opened the following year. Hole 6 was likewise redesigned between 2003 and 2004.
Renovations and addition to the golf shop were completed in 2004. The 33 foot by 87 foot addition provided storage for power carts. The new building consisted of a display area, two offices, inventory storage, club repair room, member’s club storage and room for 87 power carts. In 2008, a “Master Restoration Plan” sought to restore the course to the original Donald Ross design. In the fall of that year, construction commenced on hole 7, restoring the green and greenside bunkers. It opened for play in the spring of 2009.
“New golf course now completed,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 August 1912, page 20.
“Pine Ridge Golf Club,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 March 1914, page 7.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
“Century-old club remembers its past,” The Metro, 3 September 2014, page 26.
This page was prepared by Malcolm Woligrocki and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 May 2016Back to top of page