Memorable Manitobans: Robert Brodie Anderson (1875-1844)
Born in Almonte, Ontario on 3 May 1875, son of William Anderson (1844-1917) and Elizabeth Peebles Brodie (1848-1913), the family came to Winnipeg in 1878 where the father worked for twelve years as a salesman for the Ashdown Hardware Company.
He was educated at the Winnipeg Collegiate Institute then, in 1897, he entered St. John’s College then began the study of medicine, graduating in 1903 from the Manitoba Medical College. He practiced at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan for three months then did postgraduate work at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. Returning to Manitoba, he investigated medical conditions on Indian reserves around Lake Winnipeg on behalf of the federal government.
Returning to Winnipeg, he practiced with Charles James Jamieson, later Dr. A. R. Winram, then sold his practice and did additional postgraduate work in Edinburgh, receiving the degree of Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. He also studied at Dublin and toured medical centres throughout Europe. He came back to Winnipeg in 1910 and continued the practice of medicine. During the First World War, he served overseas with the Canadian Army Medical Corps for three and a half years.
On 12 October 1910, he married Margaret Ellen Ness (1883-1968) of Howick, Quebec and they had four children: William Brodie Anderson (1914-1944), Margaret Patricia Anderson (1916-2000, wife of Roberd Norman Killingbeck), Robert N. Anderson (1922-1960), and John Alan Anderson (1923-1965). He was a member of the Canadian Medical Society, Winnipeg Medical Society, Masons, Independent Order of Foresters, Woodmen of the World, and Maccabees.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Dr. R. Brodie Anderson dies in General Hospital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 May 1944, page 26.
“Killed [William Brodie Anderson],” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 June 1944, page 7.
Obituary [Robert N. Anderson], Edmonton Journal, 13 July 1960, page 56.
“16 Canadians feared killed in RCAF Argus crash [John Alan Anderson],” Toronto Daily Star, 24 March 1965, page 1.
We thank Darryl Toews for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 April 2023