Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg General Hospital / Health Sciences Centre (Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Winnipeg General Hospital traces its origins to 1872. Three years later, A. G. B. Bannatyne and Andrew McDermot donated a plot of land in Winnipeg for construction of a 20-bed hospital, erected in 1882. When that building proved insufficient for the needs of the community, Bannatyne and McDermot exchanged it for a larger site—bounded on the east by Olivia Street and on the west by Emily Street, on the south by McDermot Avenue and on the north by William Avenue. The first hospital building, now long gone, was constructed here between 1884 and 1885. Through the years, many more buildings would be constructed as part of the growing hospital.
On 8 October 1924, a brass plaque commemorating four nurses who were killed during service in the First World War was unveiled in the hospital. Originally located on the north wall of the original Bannatyne entrance to the hospital, it was removed during subsequent renovations and has been lost.
A one-storey brick addition to the building, measuring 34 feet by 36 feet, was added in 1937 by W. A. Irish and Company at a cost of about $25,000.
On 1 February 1972, the Winnipeg General Hospital was amalgamated with the Winnipeg Children’s Hospital and Winnipeg Rehabilitation Hospital to become the Health Sciences Centre.
Photos & Coordinates
Nurse Casualities during the First World War
“Memorial to nurses,” Manitoba Free Press, 9 October 1924, page 8.
“Hospital addition,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 February 1937, page 9.
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
Sacrifice, HSC Archives/Museum.
Page revised: 4 September 2023