The Manitoba Medical College, established in 1883 as the first such school west of the Great Lakes, occupied this two-storey brick building constructed in 1884 on McDermot Avenue in Winnipeg. Later expanded to its present three-storey configuration, in 1906 the College moved to new facilities at 750 Bannatyne Avenue. In 1908, the building was renovated into a ten-suite apartment block called St. Regis Court.
Founders of the Manitoba Medical College
Robert Johnston Blanchard (1853-1928)
Robert George Brett (1851-1929)
Théogène Fafard (c1850-1890)
Alexander Hugh Ferguson (1853-1911)
Robert Buchanan Fergusson (1839-1890)
James Wilford Good (1852-1926)
James Robert Jones (c1852-1916)
James Kerr (?-1911)
Andrew McDiarmid (1854-?)
James Patterson (1841-1925)
William Robert Douglas Sutherland (1849-1909)
James William Whiteford (1847-1888)
David Henry Wilson (1855-1926)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Medical College (750-770 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)
MHS Centennial Organization: University of Manitoba
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1908/0671, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“561 McDermot Avenue,” City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 2004.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank Brett Lougheed, George Penner, and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 November 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.