Memorable Manitobans: James Worswick (1878-?)
Born in England in May 1878, he came to Canada in 1904 along with his wife Elizabeth and two young daughters, Gladys and Constance. They resided at Winnipeg, living at 123 Hart Avenue in Elmwood, and he worked as a building contractor, stonemason, and bricklayer in partnership with his brother George in the firm of Worswick Brothers. In 1913, they were directors of a new company, in partnership with William J. Long and Sydney Long, that developed a lime quarry near Inwood. In 1909 and 1915, he stood for election to the Winnipeg city council but was defeated both times. His whereabouts after 1916 are unknown.
Some of his building work in Manitoba included:
1906 and 1911 Canada censes, Automated Genealogy.
“Civic election probabilities,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 October 1909, page 15.
“$29,000 alterations to Norquay School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 July 1911, page 8.
“Accept Worswick tender for Lord Selkirk School,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 June 1912, page 28.
“Warehouse for Winnipeg Avenue,” Manitoba Free Press, 25 July 1913, page 4.
“Five and a quarter millions of capital,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 September 1913, page 13.
“Contract let for new church,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 July 1914, page 12.
“A public meeting,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 December 1915, page 5.
Page revised: 16 May 2017
Back to top of page