Memorable Manitobans: Kenneth Reginald Dixon “Ken” Pratt (1926-1980)
Born at Russell on 13 March 1926, son of Albert Maurice Pratt and Ethel Winnifred Roberts (1898-1981), he attended Russell School and Birtle School before moving with his family to Winnipeg in 1938 where he graduated from Norwood Collegiate in 1943. During the Second World War, he served overseas in the Canadian Army then returned after his military charge and attended the University of Manitoba, receiving a degree in Architecture in 1949. He practiced as an architect with Moody and Moore from 1949 to 1953.
In 1954, he founded the architectural firm of Pratt Lindgren and Associates that later became Pratt Lindgren Snider Tomcej and Associates. He served as a design critic for the University of Manitoba and was a member of the Registration Board for the Manitoba Association of Architects. In 1972, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.
He was President of the St. Boniface Rotary Club (1960-1961), vestryman and Synod representative for St. Mark's Anglican Church, and an active member of the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba, serving as its candidate for the St. Vital constituency in a 1971 by-election. He was a member of the Niakwa Golf and Country Club, Wildewood Curling Club, and Granite Curling Club.
He died suddenly at his Winnipeg home, 143 Kingston Row, on 8 August 1980.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 9 August 1980, page 40.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 11 August 1980, page 43.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 April 2023