Manitoba Communities: Russell (Unincorporated Town)
The earliest European settlers to this area arrived around 1880, the first being William Denmark who homesteaded north of the town site and Charles A. Boulton who homesteaded some 10 miles further north. Boulton acquired the section of land where Russell is now situated and, in 1881, the town site was surveyed and named Russell in honour of Surveyor-General Lindsay Russell. In the fall of 1881, the Hudson’s Bay Company established a trading post at the site later occupied by the Doig Block.
Search the MHS collection of biographies for ones connected to Russell:
“William James Doig is called by death,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 May 1924, page 5.
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 May 2017Back to top of page