Memorable Manitobans: George Henderson Phillips (1928-2015)
Educator, community activist.
Born at Roblin on 8 November 1928, son of Rev. George Edward Phillips and Rose Phillips, he moved with his family around Manitoba before arriving at Winnipeg where he attended St. John’s College and the University of Manitoba, receiving from the latter a teaching degree specializing in Physical Education. He was a physical education teacher at Margaret Scott School (1952-1954), General Wolfe School (1954-1956), and Churchill High School (1956-1962) then became Assistant Director of Physical Education for the Winnipeg School Division. He was the Principal of Hugh John Macdonald School (1974-1976) and Kelvin High School (1976-1989). In 1962, he founded the Legion Athletic Camp at the International Peace Garden and was Director and Head Coach with the camp for 50 years. During the 1950s and early 1960s he organized mobile track and field clinics during the summer months, which traveled throughout Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario. He was also one of the key organizers and meet director for the Red River Relays indoor track meet, held annually at the Winnipeg Arena. He was inducted as a Builder into the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame (2010). He died at Winnipeg on 29 May 2015.
“School posts filled,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1974.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 6 June 2015.
“Manitoba loses three great sports people,” The Metro, 24 June 2015, page 30.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 January 2018
Back to top of page