Memorable Manitobans: William Dangerfield “Bill” Lount (1914-1997)
Born at Prince Albert, Saskatchewan on 14 April 1914, son of Frank Reade Lount and Annette “Nettie” Bricker (1891-1985), he moved with his family to Winnipeg and attended United College and the University of Manitoba, graduating from the latter with degrees in Engineering and Architecture.
Following a brief apprenticeship in London, England, he returned to Winnipeg in 1938 and joined his father’s construction firm where he designed many buildings. During the Second World War, he served in the Royal Canadian Engineer Corps. He returned to Winnipeg and was active in residential and commercial land development, including in Silver Heights, St. James, Tuxedo, River Heights, and Windsor Park. In 1951, he and his father introduced the lift-slab method of construction to the city when they built the Saigon Apartments.
He was married twice, first to Aileen Doris Armstrong (1916-1977) with whom he had two sons and a daughter, and second to Jean Topolniski (?-2010). He was a member of the St. Charles Country Club, Winnipeg Winter Club, and Manitoba Club.
He died at Winnipeg on 7 July 1997.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
Obituary [Aileen Doris Lount], Winnipeg Free Press, 6 April 1977, page 44.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 9 July 1997, page 30.
Obituary [Jean Lount], Winnipeg Free Press, 30 January 2010.
Saigon Apartments, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 January 2023