Memorable Manitobans: John James Codville (1851-1915)
Born in Quebec City, Quebec on 19 November 1851, son of Hilary Codville and Mary Ann Robinson. In 1873, Codville invested an inheritance from his deceased father in a partnership in a new wholesale grocery firm of Thompson, Codville and Company. In 1881, acting on the business opportunities opened up in the frontier city of Winnipeg with the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway, Codville transferred the base of operations of his company to Winnipeg. Business flourished and eventually branches were opened across the prairies, in Brandon, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, and Calgary. In 1906, he took on William Georgeson as a partner and the firm was renamed the Codville-Georgeson Company. After Georgeson’s departure in 1907, the firm was known as Codville and Company, with Codville as President, H. B. Gordon as Vice-President, and A. W. Chapman as Secretary-Treasurer.
In 1887, he married Edith Anna Lorrine MacDonnell. He had two children: Francis Hilary MacDonnell Codville (b 1889) and Maude Edith Crawford MacDonnell Codville (b 1892). The family lived at 237 Kennedy Street. He was a founding member of the St. Charles Country Club, in 1905. Sometime before 1914, the Codville family moved to Ottawa, into a new home on Daly Street that stands today.
Codville died aboard a train in England, on 8 October 1915.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Drops dead on train”, Manitoba Free Press, 9 October 1915, page 1.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 November 2013
Back to top of page