Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lyon Block / Aikins Block / Bate Block (221 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey building at 221 McDermot Avenue, with a façade of yellow-ochre brick with limestone capitals and a metal cornice, was constructed in 1883 for the pioneer grocery merchant W. H. Lyon. In 1893, it was occupied by the grocery wholesale firm of Thompson, Codville and Company, becoming Codville and Company six years later under proprietor J. J. Codville.
From 1900 to 1905, the Manitoba (Winnipeg) Free Press occupied the building and, after the vacant building was purchased by J. A. M. Aikins in 1905, it was renovated by architect J. H. G. Russell into office space with the addition of two storeys. After Aikins’ firm moved to a building on Portage Avenue, it continued to use this building for several years, afterwards hosting professional and service offices. In 1942, the drug wholesale firm of Bate and Bate bought the building, changed its name, and established its office and warehouse facilities there.
Now a municipally-designated historic site, a commemorative plaque is mounted near the southwest corner of the building.
Bate Block / Lyon Block / Aikins Block (221 McDermot Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 January 2020
Back to top of page