Memorable Manitobans: John Walter Clarke (c1887-1972)
Educator, school inspector.
Born at Coleraine, Ireland, and educated at the Coleraine school where his father was Principal, he graduated from the Marlboro Teachers’ College Dublin in 1913 and emigrated to Canada later that year. He taught school for a short time then, during the First World War, he enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps. After the war, he worked as an education officer in England before returning to Canada in November 1919.
He was Principal of Decker School (1920-1924), Brandon Central School (1924-1928) and Earl Haig School (1928-1929). In 1929, he was appointed a Manitoba School Inspector, serving successively at Miniota, Shoal Lake, and Killarney. In 1947, he was transferred to the staff of the Central Normal School where he worked until 1953. From 1953 to 1960, he was Principal of Victory School in West Kildonan then was on the teaching staff of Talmud Torah for two and a half years.
Married with two daughters, he was a member of the IOOF and was Grand Master in 1939. He was a President of the Manitoba School Inspectors Association and a member of the Mentors Club. He was active in junior hockey in each area where he lived.
He died at Winnipeg on 29 October 1972.
“Education department makes staff changes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 July 1949, page 6.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 30 October 1972, page 27.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 January 2015