Memorable Manitobans: Kathleen “Kay” Chapman (1903-1998)
Born at Ninga on 21 May 1903, the sixth child of Hannah Medley (1869-?) and Robert F. Chapman (1865-1956), she was educated at Hiawatha School, Ninga High School, Brandon Normal School, and Winnipeg Normal School. She began her teaching career at Ninga School, and subsequently taught at Lauder School before moving to West Kildonan in 1948 to teach in the West Kildonan School District (later the Seven Oaks School Division). She was Principal of Seven Oaks School (1951-1953), Belmont School (1956-1957), and H. C. Avery School (1957-1964), and was the first Principal of Forest Park School (1964-1968), after which she retired. In 1970, she received the Manitoba Centennial Medal from the Manitoba Historical Society for “her outstanding service to Manitoba as a teacher and her devotion to humane awareness of the needs of students.” Her pastimes included nature watching, reading, music listening, and traveling extensively. She resided at 1100 Henderson Highway (?-1996) for many years and West Park Manor (1996-1998). She died at Winnipeg, unmarried, on 11 February 1998 and was buried in Ninga Cemetery.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“R. F. Chapman buried at Ninga,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 March 1956, page 14.
“Avery School tea set at Wednesday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 October 1959, page 10.
“Avery School tea,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 October 1962, page 12.
“Party will honour Kathleen Chapman,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 June 1968, page 25.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 14 February 1998, page C12.
Henderson’s Winnipeg Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Page revised: 2 May 2015
Back to top of page