Memorable Manitobans: Earl Stewart Bolton (1883-1960)
Physician and surgeon.
Born at Darlingford in 1883, son of Ferris Bolton and Elizabeth Jane Stewart, he was educated at Darlingford Public School, Wesley College, and the University of Manitoba. He graduated in 1909 and first practised medicine at Medicine Hat (Alberta) and at Irvine (Alberta) before coming to Brandon in 1915. He served as Medical Health Officer for the City of Brandon from 1910 to 1932 when he received a diploma of public health from the University of Toronto. He then became director of the health unit at Brandon, a position he held until 1950.
In 1910, he married Lois Williams. They had three children: Mary Bolton (wife of J. G. West), Bert Bolton, and Fred Bolton. He was a member of the Alberta Medical Association, Manitoba Medical Associations, Canadian Medical Association, and the American Public Health Association. While in Irvine, he served as a member of the local School Board. He was President of the Brandon Male Voice Choir and a member of the Kiwanis Club, the Masons, IOOF, and First United Church.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“Dr. E. S. Bolton, ex-health officer at Brandon, dead,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 September 1960.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 December 2014
Back to top of page