Memorable Manitobans: Emerson Lloyd Arnett (1911-1975)
Born at Souris in 1911, son of Jonathan Hughes Arnett and Laura Vivian Belvedere Todd (1878-1984), he attended public schools at Souris, Regina (Saskatchewan), Winnipeg, Westbourne, and Treherne, where he won the Governor General’s medal in his year of matriculation. He subsequently graduated from the Dauphin Normal School and taught at Sulphur Creek School No. 927, Headingley School No. 9 (1938-1940), Tuxedo School No. 1709 (1940-1948), and finally at Machray School in Winnipeg. During the Second World War he served as a Lieutenant in the reserve army.
He became active in the Manitoba Teachers’ Society and, in 1949, joined it full time as Assistant General Secretary. In 1956 he became General Secretary, succeeding Thomas A. McMaster, and remained in that position until his retirement in June 1975 when he was succeeded by W. R. Gordon. During his tenure he was instrumental in improving the lot of school teachers in Manitoba. In 1964 he was asked by the Canadian Teachers Association and the Newfoundland Teachers Association to appraise and make recommendations on the Newfoundland organization and, in 1966, he was given a similar mandate in Uganda by the World Council of Teachers. He attended the University of Manitoba while teaching and received his Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education degrees.
In 1936, he married Elsie Audrey Rhind (1911-2009), daughter of Frederick Rhind of Westbourne and they had two children: Emerson James Arnett and Tanis Audrey Arnett (wife of Rob Lefroy). He was active in the Winnipeg Rotary Club, Canadian College of Teachers, Knowles School for Boys, and the United Way. He was a member of the Champlain Society, Manitoba Historical Society, Manitoba Horticulture Society, and Winnipeg Winter Club.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 26 August 1975, page 32.
Obituary [Laura Vivian Belvedere Arnett], Winnipeg Free Press, 21 June 1984, page 49.
We thank E. James Arnett for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 June 2019
Back to top of page