Historic Sites of Manitoba: Headingley School No. 9 (Headingley)
A monument for Headingley School is situated along Bridge Road in the Rural Municipality of Headingley. Built in 1910 on a design by architect Arthur F. Nesbitt, the two-classroom structure replaced an earlier school destroyed by fire on 14 January 1910. Students in grades 1 to 5 had classes in one room while those in grades 6 to 10 had classes in the other.
After the school closed, the building stood vacant. It was vandalized extensively and school records left in the building were destroyed. The building was later demolished. Students went to a newly-constructed Phoenix School nearby. The monument at the former school site was erected in 1999 by the Headingley Historical Society.
Among the other teachers who worked at Headingley School were Jessie Matheson Iverach (1936-1940, daughter of David Iverach), Dorothy Currie (1943-1944), Mrs. Emily Priest (1944-1947), Mr. A. R. Patterson (1944-1947), Mrs. Selma M. Hardy (1947-1951), Molly Charlotte Finkbeiner (1952-1953), Miss Sarah B. Steel (1953-1954), Mr. P. Alexiuk (1954-1955), and Mrs. Viola Dufresne (1955-1956).
Photos & Coordinates
Canada voters lists, Ancestry.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
History of Headingley & Phoenix Schools: 1856-1974 by Mrs. N. Ramsay, St. James Assiniboia School Division, 1974.
Headingley: Pioneers Past & Present by Murray Peterson and Georgia Anderson Taillieu, Headingley Historical Society, 2003.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Larry Taylor, James Arnett, William McArthur, and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 February 2021