Memorable Manitobans: Hugh William Watson (1872-?)
Educator, school inspector.
Born in Dufferin County, Ontario on 15 December 1872, his primary education was received locally then he attended the Collingwood Collegiate Institute and Owen Sound Collegiate Institute. After teaching in Ontario public schools for five years, he enrolled at the University of Toronto to study mathematics and natural sciences. He then moved to western Canada where he received a teaching certificate from the Regina Normal School. In 1899, he attended Manitoba College, receiving the following year a BA degree in mathematics and three years later an MA degree. He taught at Killarney School (1901), Wawanesa School (1902-1903), and Selkirk School (1903-1904). He returned to Winnipeg and taught at Pinkham School (1905-1906) and the Central Collegiate (1906-1907) before being appointed Principal of John M. King School (1907-1912). In 1912, he became a School Inspector for the Manitoba Department of Education, specializing in agriculture, school gardening, and nature study. He was later Principal at the St. James High School (1920-1922).
On 1 August 1901, he married Jessie Wilder (1875-?) in Dufferin County and they had two children: Stewart Clarke Watson (1902-?) and Jessie Lorna May Watson (1906-?). He served as President (1920) and Secretary-Treasurer (1921-1922) of the Manitoba Horticultural Association. The family lived at 205 Walnut Street, Winnipeg until the mid-1920s, when they moved to Kincardine, Ontario.
1901 and 1911 Canada censes, Automated Genealogy.
Birth registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Many teachers to meet at Brandon,” Manitoba Free Press, 4 October 1912, page 17.
“To beautify school grounds is his aim,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 October 1912, page 3.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 January 2019
Back to top of page