Memorable Manitobans: Charles Heavysege Walsh (1866-1950)
Born at Montreal, Quebec on 27 December 1866, son of John Groves Walsh (1835-1896) and Jane Heavysege (1844-1924), he came to Winnipeg with his family in 1886. After attending school here, he worked with J. Robertson and Sons then was head pricer at the J. H. Ashdown Company. He quit the latter job to enroll in the North Western University Dental School at Evanston, Illinois. He returned to Winnipeg and established a dental practice in 1900, operating it until retirement in 1946. He served on the board of the Manitoba Dental Association and held the position of secretary (1906-1910). He was also President and Treasurer of the Canadian Foundation of Preventative Dentistry. On 5 July 1914, he married Mary Catherine MacKay (1870-1946, daughter of John MacKay of New Glasgow, Nova Scotia) at Providence, Rhode Island. They had no children. They lived at 186 Spence Street (c1904-1929) and 50 West Gate (1929-1950) and were members of St. Stephens-Broadway United Church. He died at his Winnipeg home on 31 May 1950 and was buried in the St. James Cemetery.
“Walsh - MacKay,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 August 1914, page 6.
Obituary [Mary Catherine Walsh], Winnipeg Tribune, 26 March 1946, page 7.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Dr. C. H. Walsh, pioneer city dentist, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 June 1950, page 29.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 August 2020